Do you self-identify as a “nerd?” Many of us in the IT industry do. Are you single? E.g., not in a long-term relationship at the moment? Or perhaps you know someone who fits that description – if so, please ask them to read this. Or if you were perhaps a recently single nerd, this’ll still feel familiar to you.
I’ve a couple of friends in this “single nerd” life situation, and they deal with life issues that I, frankly, haven’t faced in years (at best). So I’d like to know, from you, what sorts of life issues you find yourself dealing with all the time, both successfully and unsuccessfully. Please drop a comment below.
To get you started, some of what they’ve brought up (and these aren’t mean to be cast as “unsolvable,” but they are things they deal with):
- “I get home at night and there’s nothing in the fridge. I’ve tried the box meal programs, but they’re always portioned for two.”
- “I have a tough time meeting people outside work. I don’t love to socialize, and bars aren’t my scene. Dating apps suck.”
- “I honestly hate the way I dress at work. It feels boring, but I don’t really know where the boundaries are on ‘business casual’ so I just wear khakis and black polo shirts.”
- “I’m uncomfortable about women at work. I don’t want to make them uncomfortable, but I never know what to say in, like, the break room. I’m probably creepy.”
- “I eat crap for lunch. It’s hard to eat out every day and not eat crap.”
- “All I do is work all day and go home and play games. It’s fine, but I feel like there’s more in life I could do.”
Granted, some of those are a little simplistic, but that’s because I’ve boiled a few down just to make concise examples; they’re really complex emotional issues, often without a simple answer, and I get that. This isn’t a quest for answers, per se.
Anyway… simple or complex, if you’re a self-identified single nerd, what bugs you about life? What do you wish you had happening that you don’t? What’re some things you wish you didn’t have to deal with, or that you wish you could deal with better?
I have my list, but it was a long time ago, so it’s probably a little misty. I do want my friends, though, to see some shared struggles, and maybe know that they’re not alone in what they’re dealing with. I’m not asking you to post solutions (although please, feel free if you’ve got ’em), just the stuff you deal with as a “single nerd.”
Thanks for any input you can offer!