I recently received a wonderful, humbling e-mail from a fellow who’s given me permission to share his story. I hope, after reading this, that you’ll do your best to pass it on – even to your non-technical friends. It has a wonderful ending, but it’s a really important cautionary tale. Share this with your co-workers, your user group, your Tweeple, and even your Facebook friends. It’s a technology story, but the moral is much more broadly applicable.

Last May I went to TechEd NA in Houston for the first time. I’ve been an IT Pro for a little over 20 years, all for the same company.

I had dabbled in PowerShell a bit and had some VBScript experience but as much as it shames me to say, I was a “button monkey”. Next, Next, Finish. *sigh*

However at TechEd things changed. I saw your session on “Windows PowerShell Best Practices and Patterns: Time to Get Serious”, as well as the “Unplugged” with Jeffrey Snover and the DSC session. My eyes were opened! I came back to work and immediately bought your PowerShell and Tool making Month of Lunches books. I started following the forums on Powershell.org and listening to the podcasts. I was converted! I’ve upgraded most of our servers to 2012r2 and removed the GUI’s (to my co-worker’s dismay), and am on track to have the rest of our servers “headless” before I leave for Ignite this year.

All of that is just background to explain why I owe you such a huge debt of gratitude. In one of the Power Scripting podcasts you and Jason Helmick were talking about building home labs and taking responsibility for your own career. You said “You have to decide whether your career is your company or your career is IT.” That seems so obvious but for someone like myself who came up in the same company – my mind was BLOWN. I had to pause the podcast and let that sink in a bit! By the end of that conversation I had realized that I had been blinding myself to so much. I had looked at everything through the filter of “Does the company need this?”, and I had missed out on so many things and opportunities.

Now I’m 1/3 of the way to my first Microsoft Certification, I have a home lab (running DSC of course), and an up-to-date resume! Thanks to you!

Shortly after I had my revelation and started working on honing MY skills and MY marketability, the family-owned company that I’ve been working at for 20+ years was sold to an investment group. Suddenly the “family” mindset where it took a willfully stupid act to get fired has changed. I’m still at the same company and the same job but I’m documenting my accomplishments and gained skills (I have a KSA book now too). This has increased both my perceived value to my current employers but also my confidence that I can get another job if this one falters.

This is some true fact, folks. I’ve said it before, and it bears repeating: Your career is your career, not your company’s. You should be focusing on the technologies and techniques that you know are important to the industry, whether your company needs you to, wants you to, or pays for you to or not. You never know when your job – whether you love it or not – will suddenly cease to exist as you know it. In this case, the story isn’t dire – nobody lost a job – but at least this person has the professionalism to make sure he’s covered in the event he no longer wants to work for his current employer.

This industry is your career, not necessarily your current job. Make sure you’re learning what your career needs you to.

8 thoughts on “The Most Inspiring PowerShell Story Ever

1. Great and awesome story to get things back to perspective and what is the big picture for you and your career.

2. halr9000 says:

That was my second favorite episode of all time! The first was Mark Russinovich, because, come on, MARK RUSSINOVICH.

1. jsnover says:

Hal – let me get this straight.
      Your *MOST* favorite POWERSHELL podcast episode was Mark Russinovich?
      You are soooo on the “serious harms” list.

3. SpamJavellin says:

Excellent Story, I’d love to hear the podcast referred too in this article. If anyone has any ideas which episode it is please share.

(And yes I know all the powershell podcasts deserve my attention but I’d like to start with this one 🙂 )

1. houndtech says:

I’m pretty sure that’s #260 http://bit.ly/1H5npnZ
      A similar conversation on #222 http://bit.ly/1wa7p30

4. Corey Kent says:

Hey Don, that’s awesome, I went and listened to the original “rant” as you called it at the time. It is indeed #260.

I like what you were saying and have decided to buy one of the Brix that you mentioned too. I was wondeing if you could write an article/blog post with a bit more in-depth information than was included in the podcast? It is mostly common sense but it turned my thinking on it’s head. I know it’s a lot to ask but If you could write an article articulating more of how you go about implementing what was mentioned I think it would inspire even more people. 🙂

Hmm. I’ll have to go re-listen to that. Any particular stuff or statements you think I could expand upon in writing?

1. Corey Kent says:

Hi Don,

Actually I’ve found lots of little bits on the topic in various youtube video’s, books & posts you have made (Have been researching a lot of powershell stuff the last few days.) I was thinking more of a post that combines most of it together as a guide for people who want to start following it. (Since it’s your current crusade as you put it)

* Requirements to progress
        – Lab Environment @ Home & Work – Something like the Gigabyte Brix is cheap and tiny.
        – Understand the underlying technologies and not just the software that you use to administer it.
        – Attend conferences & workshops.
        * Be prepared to pay for all this yourself (Both time and money). You can’t depend on your company.

* Research all the related technologies if you’re a windows sysadmin look at IIS & SQL server as well as PowerShell and don’t just stick to your little specialization.

KSA Book – Keep a log of Knowledge, Skill, Ability
        * Tracking of Skills
        * Tracking of Achievments
        * Tracking of Projects
        – Add to resume regularly.

(In regards to scripting to automate a manual task: How long does it take to do manually?, how often is it performed? – Write this down.. (Measure how long it takes to write the script) This gives you a RoI, Put on resume, how many hours you saved the company) – From Windows PowerShell Best Practices and Patterns: Time to Get Serious – TechEd North America 2014 – YouTube.

Sorry that was longer then I expected..